River Oaks; A Brief Summary of the Town and its History
Drug Abuse and Addiction, a Steeply Climbing Problem
- According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s, (SAMHSA), official National Survey on Drug Use and Health, 23.5 million persons of the age of 12 or older needed immediate treatment for an illicit drug or alcohol abuse problem in 2009. This figure represents 9.3 percent of persons in this age group. Of these, only 2.6 million, or 11.2 percent, of those who needed treatment actually received it at a specialty facility.
- To take one year at random, in 2009 there were nearly 4.6 million drug-related emergency room visits nationwide. These visits included reports of drug abuse, adverse reactions to intake of drugs, or other drug-related consequences and physical issues.
- In 2012, an estimated 29.1 million people, or 11.2 percent of the persons in the age group of 12 or older, had driven under the influence of alcohol at least once in the past year.
- The unprecedented rise in overdose deaths in the United States in the last several years exactly parallels a 300% increase since 1999 in the sale of strong, prescription painkillers. These drugs were involved in 14,800 overdose deaths in 2008, which more than cocaine and heroin combined.
- Drug overdose was the leading cause of injury-induced death in 2012. Among people from the ages of 25 to 64 years old, drug overdose caused more deaths than all of the motor vehicle traffic crashes.
- The drug overdose death rate has more than doubled from 1999 through 2013, and is still increasing at an exponential rate today.
There is a silver lining in all of this despite the tremendous grievances that come along with drug abuse. In spite of the severely increasing drug problem in River Oaks, Fort Worth, Texas, and the United States as a whole, the amount of inpatient rehab centers in Texas and in the United States has also been increasing. Inpatient rehab centers act as the single most successful approach to curing drug addiction. For any individual in River Oaks and the surrounding area that may be struggling with a drug addiction, it is strongly recommended that he or she seek out the assistance of an inpatient, residential drug addiction rehabilitation center.